Thursday, October 9, 2008

Figuring Things Out (Updated)

So we do know this... that Grandma Adelaida was born to Nicholas Sena and Maria (Martinez) Olivas Sena in December of 1898. She had six children.

We know that Great Grandpa Nicolas was married once before he married our great-grandma, Maria. I was going to ask Mom the names of Grandma's siblings the other day, but this morning she called me to tell me that Brother Luke had died. Mom said she saw an article in the paper, not the obituary as I thought it was. I found it now and here's a link to the article. I suppose that in a day or two the local papers will run the obituary. Anyway, recently, remember that an article was run in the New Mexican about him? He was our mothers' first cousin. Mom says his father, Ciriaco Olivas, was great-grandma's son by her first husband, making him Grandma's half-brother.


I started fooling around on ancestry.com and I opened up an account to see if I could dig up any more detailed information. I found a lot of recent information about our relatives. In looking at the census records I was able to come up with a lead about Great-Grandpa's first wife. The information is fuzzy at best, but it seems in the early 1880's he was married to a woman named Amelia and they had a daughter named Jesusa, but that doesn't ring a bell with my mom or Aunt Marie. However, Mom recalls that Great Grandpa Nicolas had a daughter from his first wife but she died when she was a young girl and that Grandma remebered her fondly. I'll have to dig through birth and death records. Maybe I'll take a day and try to find those, but everything in the 1880 census seems to fit our Great Grandpa. His occupation is listed as a carpenter and that we know.

Now, skipping ahead, the information about his marriage to Maria Martinez Olivas is correct and through her we are related to the Olivas' on one side. Now... trying to figure out the conection to the Olivas' from Grandpa Gus' side is another mystery. It's probably just as mysterious as trying to find out our "Sena" family connection to the Sena's of Sena Plaza. (Stay tuned for another post, I think I've got it.)

Here's the list of their children and ages at the time of the census of 1910.


Age Nicolas Sena 53 Maria Sena 40 Anastacio Sena 19 Apolania Sena 17 Ramona Sena 15 Nicolasa Sena 13 Francisco Sena 11 Adelaida Sena 9 Ciriaco Olivas 25

Oh my gosh... looking at their ages, it looks like Great Grandma Maria was 15 when she had her first child!!!!!

So, yes, Mom is right that Grandma had a brother named Frank, who was probably a redhead,
;-)

I wonder if our great-grandma was a redhead? In my 'fake' family tree, there is a red head in every generation. I'll share that if you're interested in seeing who lives in my fictional universe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Maria Feliz, This is really cool! Thanks so much for taking the time to do this. Now, to figure out who to name my kid after. . .

Maria Feliz said...

Uh, are you trying to tell us something there, Missy! ;-)

I've had names picked out for potential, possible future children for along time. None are on our family tree and until this year, I didn't have any girl names picked out. And go figure I might be a bit sidetracked on that project anyway, as I might have potentially met someone, but who knows.

Seriously, I'm having fun trying to figure things out. I must say, that I haven't spent nearly as much time as I'd like to. I think one day I'll try to dig up birth certificates somewhere. At Brother Luke's rosary, Mom and I were talking to the other cousins. It was really cool meeting them. Albert, who is Jake's son, has his grandfather's birth certificate, so if I hunt him down, we might find out who the man my great and your great-great grandmother married to and how he was related to Grandpa Gus.